Start with a blank canvas, a plain fondant covered cake. Allow a decent drying time so that your fondant is relatively hard, I let this dry for 24 hours. You will also need a good amount of time to allow the paint to dry once it is completed, this will depend on different circumstances such as your climate and how thick you have painted. This cake was left for another 24 hours near a dehumidifier and was perfectly dry by the next day. I had applied quite a generous layer of paint to the cake.
Here are the colours I chose for my design. A mixture of gel colours and petal dusts that I have watered down with Vodka.
This is the brush I used, you could use wider or thinner brushes to achieve different styles.
I started by dabbing different colours onto different sections of the cake, I did this just to get an idea of what they would look like and to ensure I liked the colours I was working with. You could skip this step, or you could do this on a separate piece of fondant if you don’t want to do it straight onto your cake. Have a glass of water on hand to rinse your brush in between colours, and a paper towel to wipe your bush on. Otherwise you could use a different brush for each colour, personally I love how some of the colours mix a bit on the one brush.
Applying more gel to the brush I started to use big strokes to apply more colour to the cake.
Painting on more colour sections
This is where I started painting on a lighter shade, using my brush and white gel (mixed with vodka) I painted over random parts where I thought it would look good to have a lighter section.
Once the entire side was covered in colour I then just rotated the cake, painting lighter patches here and there….
Just painting, getting lost in my happy place…..
Not knowing where to stop, but having too much fun….
Then in a large circular motion, I painted the top of the cake.
And…went back and added some more blue… I could have kept going but had to stop myself before the cake got too wet and the moisture started to melt the fondant AND before I painted too much that it all become one brown blur. By this stage I was really happy with how it was looking, so I put it aside to dry. The same process was used to create the smaller top tier of my cake deign.